Friday, February 27, 2009

Mama Chick Says,

When Hot Mama asked me if I wanted to write the Friday blog, I told her I didn’t have any exercise DVDs or gadgets to review. The only idea floating in my head was to talk about how I learned to use the stopwatch on my iPod this week. But then as I thought about it, I was reminded by a little voice in my head that I did have something I could review: the Go Girl Blog itself. This brave endeavor, spear-headed by Hot Mama, has given me an opportunity to focus on ME again. It forces me to take an hour out of each day and just be by myself with no one clutching my pant leg for a drink or wanting to know if their stretchy pants have been washed yet. This blog has proven to be what I needed to get back to exercise basics. But why is this working for me when the size of my jeans couldn’t motivate me to exercise?

Sometimes you need someone to just feed you the truth. Husbands are way too nice to do that. Papa Bear would never tell me that I needed to start exercising again, especially if he wanted to eat dinner that night. It’s your circle of friends who can give you motivation without judgment. You know what it is like to be a woman; we have the same desires to feel beautiful and feel good about ourselves. I am also a people pleaser and I am not about to disappoint people on purpose. That need for accountability gets me out the door at 6:45 am.

Another reason that this blog has kept me on track, is that we aren’t counting anything but time. I have struggled with my weight almost my entire life and because of that I have counted calories, points, good carbs, bad carbs, sugars, the glycemic index, protein, fiber... you get the picture. None of those things work for me without exercise. I feel successful at this because I am only counting the time that I give to exercise. Don’t get me wrong, I am trying to watch my diet now as well, but I don’t feel so guilty when I make cookies with kids or have wine with dinner.

There is a trainer at my health club who has been following this blog saga with me. She thinks it’s great that we’re doing this together. This morning I was telling her that this was week 4 for us and how excited I was that I had stuck with it. Then she asked me if we had weighed in and taken new measurements of ourselves. All I could think was “NNNNOOOOOOOOO!” I don’t want to do that; it will ruin it for me! I don’t want to obsess over the number on the scale right now, I just want to exercise. I want to enjoy my peace and quiet in the morning, while pushing my body a little bit more every day. The Go Girl Blog has given me, and hopefully you, the extra nudge it takes as tired wives and mothers to put ourselves first on today’s “To Do” list.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Mama Chick. You keep me going. If I were doing this alone I would have quit the second day.

    I went to the Y again today and watched some RR. That makes the time go much faster than when the TV is on Soaps. I have one more day to get in and it will be goal met!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Go Girls,I have been BAD the last couple of weeks. All of the sudden I had so many things going on and there just seems to not be enough time in the day. I only exercised 3 days last week and this week has not been much better. I have taken the girls on walks through the neighborhood this week and to the park. Today I did better, I did the treadmill and wii fit. I hope to get back on track and can't wait to see what is planned for March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Mama Chick's writing on the blog. I just want to say that it's hard to fit time into a young mother's schedule for yourself. My children are grown, but I remember not even being able to go to the bathroom without a little voice asking Mommy what are you doing. Don't even try to close the door for privacy, that doesn't exist when you have small children.

    I admire all of you young ladies for taking the time for yourselves. It's hard but it is so worth it. All of you are doing great.

    I have been exercising all week, going to the park on my lunch hour, until it got too humid on wed and thurs. Can't go back to work looking like a wet noodle can we. I've been going to Lifetime too. This weekend I need to get back to my pilates.

    Thanks Hot Mama for such a good way to motivate all of us to keep ourselves as a priority, even though there are so many other things to be done in our daily lives.

    I would like to hear more about any group walk that you may be thinking of doing.

    Here's to another great month.

    ReplyDelete