Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Feature




Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred

Review by: Julie Swoboda

I will say right off the bat, I LOVE this DVD. It is truly the only exercise video I have ever done which has actually pushed me. To achieve the intensity you do need hand weights (and a mat if you are on a hard floor).

Positives

*The instruction is super easy to understand and follow even if you need to take your eyes off the screen (ex: during push-ups or crunches).

*Each segment is short. The exercises are TOUGH, but you move through them pretty quickly.

*The individual workouts are only 20 minutes. Believe me when I say, they are designed to pack a several hour session into those 20 minutes.

*Jillian explains the logic and benefits to each exercise as you work through it (ex: working arms and legs simultaneously to increase the intensity to burn fat constantly).

*It only costs $9 at WalMart!

*There are 3 advancing workouts on this DVD (start with level 1, SERIOUSLY!)

*The moves are simple with a twist (ex: jumping jacks, squats with shoulder press, lunges with bicep curls).

Negatives

*This video is TOUGH. It could be intimidating to a beginner (just do your best and I think you will be shocked by your own potential).

*The “modified” exercises are not a lot easier than the advanced ones.

*There is a lot of talking in the introduction and the video will not allow you to fast forward at this point (I finally figured out how to skip forward).

*It is not a video I could do with the kids around (I have done, Walk Away the Pounds with the kids playing near me) so I have to wait until they are sleeping or Daddy can keep them at bay.

*Did I mention this is a hard workout? I find after 2 consecutive days, I struggle to commit to the 3rd. I know I am not going to lose weight by taking the easier option, but some days I am afraid I just do not have the energy.

4 comments:

  1. Jillian Micahels scares the crap out of me:) No, seriously, it sounds like a good DVD for later when I am in better shape and have lost some of this baby weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a "Strike" class that involved weighted gloves (BAD idea) and a bar for "combat" moves. Let's just say I can hardly move today. Unfortunately I worked all day today but luckily I had planned it as a day off. Last day tomorrow and this will be my first week to make it all five days.

    Thanks for the video review Julie! I need to increase my DVD collection because after the exciting newness of the gym wears off I know there are going to be days that it will be hard to get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama Chick, you had me lol with your comment about Jillian. I've only seen two episodes of Biggest Loser, but she totally scares me too. However, I think Hot Stuff has that DVD. I might borrow it. Then I can tell you how scary she really is.

    Thanks Julie for the review.

    Way to go Frosty!

    I made up my own interval routine in my living room tonight. Now I just feel sick to my stomach. Perhaps I went overboard trying to do mountain climbers (I think that is what you call them)and abs.I was trying to be all hard core and tough moving as fast as I could from exercise to exercise. I was hoping to shred 20lbs tonight. Well, not really. But I was trying to be cool. I'm not so cool anymore. Don't feel sorry for me. I'm accepting reality. Hopefully I'm sore somewhere tomorrow. No pain no gain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I walked the dog for 30 minutes on Saturday to finish the week.

    ReplyDelete