Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Exercise isn't Fun, But This Blog is

Who are we kidding....Exercise isn't fun, and I don't think I'm alone in that thought.

Trust me, I've done my fair share of exercise.... just not so much lately.

I started school athletics when I was in 6th grade. My father convinced me to join the cross country team. Then I did track and field. Both sports I did all the way through graduation. When I went to college it was the first year Women's Rowing became a varsity sport. Again, my dad gave me a strong nudge to tryout. I did, and for 3 yrs I competed and traveled. NCAA puts a cap on student athletes exercise work load to 20hrs a week in the sports season. Rowing is both a fall sport (long distance like cross country) and a spring sport (shorter distance like track).

Now for those of you who are thinking 3 yrs, why not 4yrs. It isn't because I graduated a year early, and it isn't because I got kicked off. May after my Junior year I got married. Yes, I was young. But we had been dating for 5yrs. He was two years older and finished with college and stick'n around our college town for me. I felt like it was too much for me to get my last classes and do a full time internship and find 20 hrs a week to row. Something had to give or I would be there another semester.

I've gotten totally off track. Back to the topic of Exercise...

I'll be honest, I was never the best at any of my sports, but I was good enough to letter in all of them several times (I have the jackets to prove it) and I earned a partial scholarship for rowing. So basically, I was good enough. Now, you all have evidence that I've put in hours of exercise. But get this, my degree....is in Exercise Science. Yes, that is a real degree, and I have it.

After college my husband and I moved to Florida. A bigger market for the TV biz (more money), and a great place for me to work with an older adult population. I had a great job (not much money) helping people get started working out and having a healthier lifestyle. Most, but not all, of my clients were grandma and grandpa types. Many of them I would check their blood pressure and heart rates before and after exercise. I would encourage them to come back, smile, be friendly, watch the showcase showdown with them as they rode their bikes. I would even bring gold star stickers to give them some mornings. I had one man, well over 80, hearing aid buzzing loud, who would flirt with me every time he came. I would have to yell all my sweet responses to him, but it was fun. That's right is was FUN! It was a great job! I miss that job! But I have a better job now and one day I will be looking back at it with only the fond memories.

Back on point. Exercise isn't fun, BUT community is fun. That's what I loved about cross country, track, rowing, my job. It was the people. The workouts stink. It is hard to get up at 5am and row a boat on a lake when it is barely above freezing. Who wants to do that? Well, I did it over and over because I was part of a team. A team of girls that I liked and loved. And they liked and loved me as well. It is so hard to exercise alone. But as a team we are strong.

That is what this blog is about. Teamwork. Fast forward, now I'm a mom with the responsibility to take care of others--husband, 4 kids, 3 dogs. My friends have responsibilities. We can't always schedule time to meet and workout. Distance is another huge factor. We aren't all close to each other. My hope is this blog will bring us closer together. We can hold each other accountable and have a Cyber Team. I know some of you are rolling your eyes and my cheesy team spirit, but not to worry. I still love you just the way you are.

Let's have fun being strong together. Go Girls!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh geez, the sporty type. I, on the other hand, never played a single sport. Bet you couldn't tell by looking at me:) Seriously though, once I start exercising, I can't stop. I get addicted very quickly. Before I met Ed, I was working out at 6am before work every day and was benching weights that would make some men cringe.
    My biggest problem now, is that I'm worried that once I get back into I will let other stuff slip to workout more. I know it sounds stupid, but I have an extremely addictive personality. I worked out today as a matter of fact, just to say I started early. Yes, I am such a type A person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You little cheat. No extra points for starting early :) You still will have to put in the 5 days starting Monday. You can't count today. But seriously, You Go Girl! I on the other hand changed my mind last minute and did not go to the Y and workout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this "starting early" stuff?! What are the details? I bought the Jillian Michaels, "30 Day Shred" DVD for $9 at Wal-Mart and did it yesterday and today. Of course this evening I did it after eating 2 chocolate chip cookies and drinking 2 large glasses of milk. I have always thought of myself as an athletic person, sports all growing up, I ran 2 marathons the year I met Blake ('04). As we teasingly joke, he married a long blonde haired runner wanting to serve the world... and now I have short brown hair, I struggle to "serve" dinner 5 nights a week to our family of 4! I needed to buy a DVD to use at home because I cannot get away from him and the kids to fit in a 30 minute jog between sunrise and sunset more than once a week. I am looking forward to celebrating with you all as I check in to say, "I am doing it!" or even to be motivated by you all when I am struggling to get it done. I am ready to feel healthy again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are cracking me up!!! This is so much fun!

    Hey I think that we should all get bonus points for starting this week. I started this week and I'm sticking to that. I worked out on Sunday playing hide and seek with Sara's kids... oh wait, that probably doesn't count :) But Monday and Tuesday were good. Walked the block with Kevin and our dog Lexi and then walked an extra round by mayself. I then come in and threw in 30 min of Wii Fit. Oh, and I have to mention that I ran last night. THE ENTIRE CIRLE OF MY NEIGHBORHOOD!!! I don't run, I am NOT a runner. But, last week I thought I would give it a try. I would run from one point to the next and then walk for awhile. But last night NO STOPPING!!! I couldn't believe myself. I was SHOCKED!!!

    I was so so althletic growing up. I was ALWAYS in dance outside of school and then dance team in high school. That's about as far as my athletic ability went. Sports, NO WAY! I think I tried every sport once and then settled on dance and Art! :) I was really good at Art, unfortunately it doesn't burn many calaries.

    I'm excited to start this journey with you all! I am so proud of everyone!!!

    Today I didn't get an actual workout in, because I worked at Lakeshore. But, the Vice President of the company is coming tomorrow so we worked HARD tonight. I was walking ALL OVER the store for about 4 hours straight. So, that's my work out for today :) Probably doesn't count :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you all are so excited and on fire to exercise, but let's not scare people. People like me who are tired. For anyone who hasn't exercised this week, we don't start until Monday and you don't have to be an overachiever to join. Don't...be...afraid.

    I said I wasn't going to stay up late tonight, but I did. I wrote the post for Thur and Fri. Keep checking in.This is exciting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This is a great idea for a blog! I will have to think about joining in. We did just join the YMCA and I am working out 3 days a week. I am not sure if I can get 2 more days a week in though. Hum...I am guessing walking to the refrigerator the other 2 days of the week doesn't count? LOL

    J

    ReplyDelete